One of the simplest ways to make sure you are ready to defend yourself in a crisis situation is to carry a simple, personal pepper spray. Carrying pepper spray can be useful in defending yourself, and even save your life, in many situations, from a dark urban parking lot to a quiet country road.
To make the most out of your pepper spray, and increase the chances of defending yourself effectively, make sure you:
- Be aware of your surrounding and get alert if you sense any danger coming.
- Know exactly how to use your pepper spray. Read all instructions and practice as per the instructions.
- Keep your pepper spray accessible at all times. Fishing around in your purse for your spray will cause you to waste precious time.
- Create one or two plans for how you will use your pepper spray to defend yourself.
- Often, pepper sprays must be use within 5-7 feet of an attacker to be effective. Gels and fogs also have different directive qualities than conventional sprays.