Most Common Causes Of Fires

Kitchen

Accidents

One of the common causes of a house fire or even a blast is gas cylinders. Left open knobs of the stove or leakage in the cylinder could be a cause. Be careful when you enter the kitchen, in case you smell some gas fumes, open the doors and windows and shut down the knob of the cylinder.

Over-heated

Appliances

This is common in summers in Indian homes. The air-conditioners are switched on for hours, the refrigerator uses some more power to keep cool and other machinery generally heats up faster due to the hot weather. When using appliances during summers make sure you don’t over-stretch their application.

Faulty

Wiring

If your house is equipped with inadequate wiring that cannot stand its time during peak power consumption, it could be a cause of fire. In case there is a continuous usage of high voltage appliances, the wires could heat and catch fire. Make sure the developer you are investing in has all the fire approvals.

Lighting

Fixtures

Lamp shades and light fittings can build up heat if they are very close to light globes. Check around the house to make sure. Lamp bases can become a hazard if they are able to be knocked over easily, and so should be removed if they are. Check that down lights are insulated from wood panelling or ceiling timbers.

Curious

Children

Kids can cause a fire out of curiosity, to see what would happen if they set fire to an object. Keep any matches or lighters out of reach of children, to avoid any curiosity turned disaster. Install a smoke alarm in your child’s room and practice a home escape plan with your children and family in case there is a fire

Flammable

Liquids

Any flammable liquids in the home or garage such as petrol, kerosene or methylated spirits, can be dangerous and cause an increased risk of a fire outbreak or spreading. Keep them away from heat sources and check the label before storing. Be careful when pouring these liquids.

Stay

Alert & Prepared

Fire safety gadgets that gives you an edge.